12.27.2011

My dads pottery >>>

Among the many things that my dad was, he was an amazing potter.  He didnt think so, but I love the works he did.  There was just a handful of pieces he had completely finished and glazed, and divided them up amongst a few good friends and family for christmas.  It was hard letting them go, Ill be honest, but Im glad that a little part of him is now in each of their homes.  My dad was the kind of man who got an idea in his head for something and then went full throttle with it.  If he didnt know how to do it, he got books and taught himself.  He got a bit obsessive over things and had to master them.  There is really nothing I can think of that I would put past him to have been able to do.  He just had talent running through his veins it seems.  He always told me things didnt come easily to him, that he had to work at it over and over, but he always figured it out.  I really look up to him in this respect.  Here are just a few of his magnificent pots he threw.

Daddy, I miss talking to you on the phone everyday (or almost everyday)...even on the not so good days (and I know there were lots of them)...I miss your goofy grin you would get when you were up to no good (which was alot)...I miss the way your hands sounded when you rubbed them together b/c they were dry, rough and cracked from a lifetime of woodworking and labor...I miss the way you always smelled like your woodshop (one of the best smells in the world)...I miss hearing you call me kiddo...I miss the way you would make up your own language when you talked to your dog...I miss you dropping by my house randomly... I miss you confiding in me about your dates...I just miss you.  I love you.

PEACE,
Laura

14 comments:

  1. Very sweet post and your dad was very talented! I love all of these pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pottery is beautiful, I love the colours so much and the shapes are wonderful!
    A beautiful post too, I love that you are so open and true, I feel like I learn something from your words, it is always the first blog I want to visit!
    Joanne, England x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful post. His pottery is amazing! I know it's hard to miss someone like that. I'm glad you have his pottery as a small reminder of how creative he was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Laura. You are in my thoughts today. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what beautiful pottery! i love all the glazes. your dad was amazing, you took after him i bet and what a lovely post laura!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  6. His pottery is beautiful.. love the blue-ish colours he worked with. Lovely post Laura.. thank you for sharing your dad with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your dad is oh so talented! Great work. xo, rv

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pottery! And such a sweet tribute. Honest but kind.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely beautiful pottery... talented artistry definitely runs in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post and work by your father.
    Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. good things to remember & treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, Laura you really are an inspirational woman, thanks to you i realize that i have to appreciate more my family, specially my dad, who i only saw every sunday, and sometimes i don't talk to him the whole week :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pottery and beautiful words. My dad is also a woodworker so I know exactly what you mean about the smell. The wonderful-woodworking-daddy smell. Warm thoughts going your way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!