12.10.2011

Book Inspired: Self Image >>>

Welcome to a new little series Im welcoming to my blog.  Book Inspired.  Do you ever read things that just really make you think and you just want everyone you know to read it too???  I do all the time, so I thought Id start sharing little tid-bits of reading inspired things, along with what it means to me.  Id love for these posts to be inspiring for you, so I invite you to leave in the comments what it may mean for you as well.  And if you feel you would like to do a whole blog post on the subject for this post, leave me a link in the comments so I can see!

Everyday for the past few weeks Ive been reading pages from the book Wisdom of the Ages (60 days to Enlightenment) by Wayne Dyer.  I highly recommend it to everyone in the world!  Today Im going to share the one on Self Image.  I read this one last night and it resonated with me deeply.  Ill start by writing the quote he highlighted in this post:

"This is the true joy in life:  The being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one.  The being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.  I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.  I want to be thoroughly used up when I die -- for the harder I work, the more I live.  I rejoice in life for its own sake.  Life is no 'brief candle' to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
~George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

The way this resonates with me...  The word self image goes so much deeper than how you see yourself in the mirror, what you wear everyday, or how you think you appear to the people who see you.  Ive been pondering alot lately to myself about the idea of whether or not I am fulfilling my little purpose here on earth.  After losing my dad, it has opened my eyes up so much to the idea that we as humans have this need inside ourselves to feel purposeful.  With my mom being gone, and both of his kids grown up and living their own lives, I think my dad really lost his sense of purpose in this world.  Not that he didnt have one, I think he just lost sight of it.  And as much as I know in my heart Im fulfilling my purpose of art, using my gifts that have been given to me to my fullest at this moment in my life to the best I know how, I still wonder.  I feel there is a much deeper purpose brewing inside me, and Im just not sure what it is.  Do you ever feel those wheels churning inside you, driving you towards something greater, but just not knowing what that is yet?  I guess Ill know when I get there, and along the way, Ill be keeping my eyes open as much as I can.  

As the quote above talks about being a force of nature, and not someone who sits around and complains wishing things in life were better for them... Dyer talks about how we all know people in our lives like this and its our choice to remove ourselves from situations where negativity and complaining take over the conversations.  And to catch ourselves when we are about to complain about how tired we are, or things we dont feel like doing, and to stop and say nothing instead... and eventually those feelings tend to lessen or disappear b/c we are not giving them any energy.  And to put energy into rejoicing in life for the sake of life itself.  And to ignore criticism.  He quotes one of my favorite Albert Einstein's quotes:

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

By allowing ourselves to break free from our own negativity or that placed on us by others around us, we can allow ourselves to open up to the ideas and possibilities that this world has for us.  It can drive the fear away from us, and all of the blocks we place in front of ourselves to keep from fulfilling our own life purposes.  Im happy I read this, as I think this is all something to strive for and work on daily.  And when I say life purposes, I think sometimes we (including myself) tend to get lost in the idea that this must be something big and heroic.  But I do believe that is far from the truth.  I think it is finding the things in this world that we truly enjoy, that in turn creates love and helps other people (physically or emotionally or spiritually or whatevs).  This could be being a mother, a writer.... really anything you can think of, whatever is true for yourself.  And it could be many many little things.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and thanks to Wayne Dyer for putting together an awesome collection of thought provoking quotes and writings.  Im sure Ill be sharing alot from this book.

 PEACE,
Laura

7 comments:

  1. Well, what I can say is that while you continue to search for a bigger purpose (or deeper) I hope you realize that you still fulfill a purpose in a lot of people's lives with this blog here. The things you say and the life you live are all very inspiring to me, and I'm sure to many other readers (as far as I can tell from comments people leave you!) And while this may not be the deeper purpose you are looking for, it's still a purpose--and it's in addition to what you do with your art. I guess my point is that your life already matters on a larger scale. : ]

    As for me! I believe my purpose lies in helping people (I do have a degree in Sociology after all haha). How exactly I will do that remains to be seen. I want an established life first--I guess you could say I'm being selfish, but I can't deny that that's where I'm at right now. BUT! It still doesn't take away from the influence I've had on some people so far, which means SO much to me.

    In one of my last classes in school our "textbook" was a bunch of chapters from different books, so I can't vouch for the whole book, but I think you might enjoy reading 'Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love and Happiness; His Holiness the Dalai Lama'. It's not directly related to your post but it touches on the subject here and there and is inspiring just the same. : ]

    Whew! That was long enough to be my own blog post! Sorry you had to read all that! And I'm looking forward to more posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely series! i love deep, introspective quotes and then hearing your heart along with them. looking forward to more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Here I am thinking about how crap everything is since I got sick. I go through waves of being positive and pro-active and then fall in a heap again. I was just wallowing around tonight, getting in petty arguments with my husband....I have to stop thinking that I am the only one in all of this.

    I really admire how you reflect on our need to feel purposeful. I totally understand it, I even feel it myself. I just don't know how to achieve it...I don't even know where to begin. I have been really focusing on this very fact lately as I'm sure it would assist me in getting well again. Maybe I just need to look at the bigger picture, the others around me and not just myself.

    Thanks for getting the wheels turning in my head ;) You are a remarkable human Laura, I admire your strength and intelligence.
    Toni xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beckie,
    Thank you so much! That is truly so sweet. And awesome that you know your purpose here. I will check out that book, love all works by the Dalai Lama! Thanks!

    Rain,
    I knew you would love.

    Toni,
    Writing these things, and reading them over and over is also my personal reminder. I too can get into petty arguments when Im being selfish, and the worst part is when I know Im doing it. I think we all do at times. And I too am still searching for that deep rooted purpose, and maybe we dont know it b/c its not in our lives just yet. Just stay open to yourself and the world around and to changing yourself as you can, in small doses.

    Thanks for sharing girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you. are. so. awesome. I too am on an examination of self image, though on the opposite spectrum. I've spent so much of my life immersed in the spiritual, perfecting my meaning and purpose but the world keeps going by. for me, the quest is physical.

    aligning the material communication of who I am (what I wear, my hair, taking care of myself and not feeling guilty or selfish for doing so)... it's this huge process, unfamiliar to me in this new stage of my life. both elements are so important and not at all in the ways that I thought.

    you inspire me greatly time and time again in so many ways. it's an honour to know you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently started a feature on what I'm reading. My most recent is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Great read!
    http://throughmylookingglass.me/what-im-reading-the-help/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Your blog is a great little peaceful haven. :)

    www.onwardcreativity.blogspot.com
    (you are a blog inspiration of mine!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!