5.31.2011

HOME TOUR - Living Room

Our living room is a very happy place for me.  As I sit and work on my computer here in my open office, I am facing our living room area, where James enjoys most of his time when he is not working.  Some of my all time favorite and most sentimental things are in our living room.  I love love love decorating my spaces with meaningful art.  Honestly I wouldnt have it any other way.  The things I place on my walls to look at everyday must have a feeling of comfort for me, and I get the biggest comfort from things having history.  Family history most importantly.

On our mantel I have placed a large framed photo of one of our engagement shots.  My dad handmade the frame for our wedding, so it is super special.  The white and brown pitcher was my moms and is a very old piece of 'stapleware', which is very rare these days.  She loved the broken and recycled history of stapleware.  The tiny antique bottle collection was also hers with a few of mine mixed in.  We both shared a big love for old bottles, especially little tiny ones.  And the old non working violin was hers too.  She wanted so badly to learn to play the violin and never really got around to it.  Even some of the feathers, like the large turkey feathers are probably about 20 or so years old.  I love them to pieces.


The quilt on the back of our couch was handmade by my aunt, and I just adore it.  She gave it to me to cut up and use in my crafts, but I couldnt bare, its too wonderful.  The red velvet chair I got from my friend Shauna of Poor Pitiful Pearl, love it!  My coffee table was just a boring little table my bestie was getting rid of years ago and I re-painted it and gave it new life. 

My mannequin Moon has been tagging along with my since I was about 14.  She sports a tshirt from Greune Hall.  My mom got it when she waited tables at the Gristmill over 30 years ago.  The restaurant is still alive and kicking, such a cool place.

I did the painting of Claire Danes for James when we were just friends years ago.  And he got the custom skateboard two years ago for xmas.  Two of his favorite things.  My daddy made the bookshelf which I have always admired.

The shelf above our tv has some of the most meaningful stuff on it.  An embroidery of james and i that i have him for xmas a few years back.  Two kaleidescopes, one that my mom made when she was about my age, and one that was a wedding gift.  Marbles from my grandfathers collection.  One of my nanna's sparkly shoes from her dancing days.  My aunt has the other one, her and my mom each took one.  A framed pic of me and my mom.  And other various wedding gifts and knick knacks that I love.

This sun quilt was another piece my mom made before I was born.  I think she was pregnant with my brother when she made it.  This is my most single special thing I have.  If we had a fire, I would be ripping it off the walls as I ran out.

When my mom started making Broken China Jewelry 30 years ago, she was saving all of the hallmarks off the back of the plates.  She made this little wall hanging and Im so glad she did.  Its a nice little reminder of what she did with her life.  And I found just the perfect spot for it!

As you can see, I really do keep alot of my mom around me.  It comforts me so much.  None of this stuff can replace her, but it fills some of the holes in my heart having it around me, if that makes sense. 

PEACE,
Laura

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love all of the history of the items in the room and I adore those bottles with the feathers in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAURA!
    I have those same door beads.. and an antique bottle collection with feathers in it! I've had my beads since I was 16 years old.. and finally got the chance to put them up! You home looks very beautiful. I'm glad to see we are alike in our decoration choice. Hope you are well!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I had another look, the door beads are very similar. The flower style is the same, but mine doesn't have the shorter part over head. Still, they are so alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your home! you've made it so comfortable & inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're one of those people who surrounds themselves with meaningful objects. A lot of people, upon buying a new home, would purchase all brand new furniture. While it may look nice, it just doesn't give a home the same feeling.

    My apartment is also full of second-hand, sentimental pieces. I've become a pro at refinishing old furniture. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you have such a gorgeous home, so very personal. It is such a wonderful tribute to your mum to keep all of her special things around you, so beautiful. Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love-love your living room! It just looks cozy and has such character because of all the meaningful things you have up and about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really lovely and unique. I love everything.
    Marcelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. in love with your living room, i hope mine is as great as yours when i buy my own place!

    Kaye x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Everything is just so beautiful and special!!!! Sooo incredibly lovely! I just love everything about it and every little detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's so beautiful!:))


    you make me want to get a lot more into arts and crafts so I can have more personal things in such a room.. love it:))











    http://triballane.blogspot.com/
    http://triballane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous! I love the mix of earthy elements with bold colors---so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, I love your living room! It's so special. Doesn't your kitty mess with your beads? I've been wanting door beads forever but thought I wouldn't tempt fate what with my 6 cats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO! cute. LOVE your couch. We had one like this about five years ago. We got rid of it thinking it was SO ugly and haven't been able to buy a better one since then. You have SUCH an adorable blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the tour! your house is so lovely and colorful :) And I love what you did to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your house is beautiful! So stylish and it seems very you. I love all your elements that remind you of your mom! so sweet :)

    -madi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!