Today is the actual New Moon, so happy New Moon to everyone!
|(image found here)|
Before I started following the moon, I used to think the new moon was at the end of the Lunar cycle (since you couldn't really see it anymore, it marks the end, or so I thought). It is actually the beginning. This totally shifted my perspective of this phase, and made more sense to me! The new moon is a rebirth; a reawakening of the lunar energy. So do take note of how you feel during this week. The energy shift can be jarring to some people, inspirational to others, even stagnant to some; everyone is unique and different, so ask yourself how it affects you! I personally, get antsy! I want to do everything all at once, so I know I need to slow down during this phase and make a to-do list!
Dana Gerhardt's Mooncircles is a wonderful resource all about Luna!! Dana encourages her readers to embrace the moon energies in an ordinary way, and I totally agree! If you make following the moon apart of your day-to-day life, it becomes uniquely yours and special. Just beautiful!
Here are some simple ways to embrace the New Moon energy each month:
- Make a to-do list for the next month of everything you want to accomplish, big or small. Make it pretty and fun!
- Start a new book!
- Create something. Birthing a new project, or creating a new work of art will feel so rewarding to your soul. (And a lot of ventures that take place during the new moon come to fruition!)
- Dana goes on a "walkabout" every new moon week. Walk or drive somewhere with no destination in mind, just embracing the spontaneity and adventure of the new moon! So awesome! I will have to try it sometime!
- Replace your loofa or body sponge in the shower and start the new lunar month fresh!
- In yoga, just as there is a Sun Salutation, there is also a Moon Salutation. Moon Salutations are a little more restorative and gentle. This is great for the New and Full Moon. There are many variations so try them all out!
- Keep a Moon Journal. Each week write about your energy, emotions, spirit, and take note of the moon phase. If you are consistent enough, you will notice a pattern connected to the moon, and you will know yourself a little bit better in the process :)
I really hope these simple ideas can help you on your unique journeys! As you follow your own moon journey, you can create your own and make them more personal to you! On my website I offer a Moon phase poster, go here to download it!
Love and Blessings,