9.13.2011

A peek into my studio makeover...

Yesterday was the day that we moved over furniture from my parents house for my jewelry studio makeover. Today we got the shelves hung, and I spent close to 12 hours decorating and putting the room back together. Im not 100% finished, but Im pooped and had to stop for the evening. A girl does need to eat and shower, sometimes... It is looking more amazing than I could have imagined in my head.  Everything fit exactly where I wanted it to go.  (I organized it in my mind before we brought everything over).  I have had boxes of my mom's little trinket-y things packed in my garage b/c I did not have the proper place to put them... now every little button and stone has a home.  I think it is going to be magical having a whole wall shelf of her 'special' things in front of me while I work everyday.  The only problem, now that I moved so much other stuff in the room, Im having a hard time getting all of my important jewelry making supplies back in a functioning place.  It is going to be a bit of a challenge to get it just right.  But Ill make it work, I always do!  Here are just a few sneak peeks into the room.  Ill take real photos when it is all done.  

I even started off the morning in the room with my breakfast and the laptop :)
I now have an official shipping station!!!  It is grand!  I did my first shipping from it today and it was the best experience (as much fun as shipping really can be)... Its sort of the dreaded part of the job, but such a major part of it... So Im pleased to have a space designated for it, with plenty of space, and easy storage to put everything away when Im done.
James mom gave me a whole bag of very old little bottles.  I love them, and I was excited to find this little wooden display box among my mom's sewing room, its perfect for them!  I use old tin cupcake tins for some of my jewelry supplies.  I usually have them spread out, but now I have to stack them...
When you finally see this shelf you will understand how truly amazing it is.  My dad built it, and its like a puzzle, a true work of art.  And its filled to the brim with odds and ends from their life.  This little brown cup came back with my mom from France.
I found old photos of my mom, and one of my dad standing next to his brother and sister, and I put those right in front of me on the shelf.  The cute pic of my mom (on the right) she was standing next to their sign on top of the driveway to their property, so Im assuming its one of those 'look its our new road sign' photos of when they first moved out here.
My mom loved the doll Poor Pitiful Pearl.  I remember her telling me about her when I was younger.  My mom had a love for the tattered, broken souls of this world.  She was like a mother (in a good way) to anyone she knew.  Here is also a tin full of her mother of pearl buttons, a stone that she held as she was dying, and a crystal my aunt gave me soon after.  Very special things.
More little trinkets, feathers, old milk glass, wooden nickel, old stamp. 
I love little vintage sewing machine.  And her wine cork collection.  I think she was planning on making something with them someday...
Just a few of my old mason jars filled with beads and buttons.  And the corner of my Roots and Feathers storage board.
A corner of the wall decorated with things that remind me of my mom, including a hand written note from her...
James brought me home the other day these amazing old cigar boxes from the 50's.  I love love love them.  They were in his dad's storage.  Im now using them to store my business cards.
And I got Bella's paw print of approval.  Which is very important around here :)

I cant wait to get some real photos of it all set up!  Its nothing compared to actually being in the room, especially with some good tunes playing in the background...  And I couldnt have done any of this without the amazing help of James and his two friends Joey and Dominic, those guys were life savors through this!

You may have also noticed some changes to the blog over this past week.  Im in the midst of re-vamping it as I can.  I dont have time to sit down and do it all at once, so it will be a slow progression.  And dont be surprised if you see it change several times, Im known for deciding I dont like something a few days later.  Ill eventually get it just right. 

PEACE,
Laura

15 comments:

  1. lovely!!! these photos are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best job interview ever:

    was having tea with your mom at a restaurant in bandera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pretty! You're a lucky girl to have a space like that with so many memories of your mother. XO, Rae

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Lovely!!! It is so very special to have such sentimental treasures around you where every one of them hold a cherished memory. Enjoy your new space♥
    ~~Dena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I really like how you've displayed the tiny bottles.
    It must be nice to have the space to create a post station - my flat is tiny and I'm currently trying to make myself a crafting space. It's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its looking amazing! there is a really comforting and cozy look to it, some where you would really enjoy to spent time in.
    There is nothing better than sentimental treasures around.

    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great peek of your new workspace! How wonderful it is to be able to have those precious things of your mother's. Looking forward to seeing more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm also in the process of fixing up my "studio". (my entire apartment, really.) its always a lot of work, but totally worth it in the end.

    i love all your vintage pieces: the tiny bottles, cigar boxes, and the mason jars!! it all looks so pretty. :)

    the doubtful pixie

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an amazing space love it.

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, i love the space. its kinda hard to see the exact colors with the filter you used, or maybe my eyes are just tired!!! lol i really like how you utilize things you have to fit what you need. its a great way to recycle and not have to 'buy' anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have such a pretty space. your style is impeccable!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful! It looks like such a serene place to work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. just to clarify a bit... i used these phone photos for the sneak peek b/c you can only see bits and pieces. ill post more real photos of the room soon. this is just a little tease :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the bits and pieces. Can't wait for the full scan!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely words cannot describe! :-)

    -Katherine

    www.byKatherineElizabeth.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!